September 9, 2008

Customizing Furniture
I thought that this would be a good topic to write about today as I just finalized my own furniture order for Merida and most my items are customized. It it a 3 bedroom home with several outdoor spaces. The total area I have to furnish is around 4,000 sqft.
As you can imagine, that is no small task. Luckily, I have the ability to visualize space in my mind (part of why I am good at this job). But, regardless of this ability, it still is a massive job and one that takes a lot of planning and thinking (something I am not so gifted at) .
Fortunatly I have floor plans to work from that have dimensions indicated. This will help in the understanding of what I will need and also allow me to see what will fit and what needs to be customized.

Both the down stairs bedrooms have no closets. Therefore I am going to need both an armoire to hang cloths and a dresser for each bedroom. I want to put a KING bed in each bedroom as well as 2 night tables...these bedrooms are getting very full and they aren't that big.


So, my idea was to combine both an armoire and a dresser to save some space. I printed off a photo of the armoire (right photo) I liked, marked it up to show what I wanted then scanned it in and sent it off to the plant in Mexico. Cost is $2100 which is 2 meters long and has 13 drawers.

I wanted something a little different for the other bedroom plus the space was much smaller. I specified a total length of 1.20 meters for the armoire and added 6 drawers down the side (left photo). Cost for this is $1250.


The result was 2 practical pieces that suit my needs, fit the space required and I feel as though I can have ownership to these pieces and be proud to say "I designed them".


This house has a lot of outdoor space. The roof terrace is nearly 800sqft alone. The current owner has a great iron table and chairs on the roof (see actual photo on the right) I LOVE IT! I tried to get him to sell it to me, but no luck, he is keeping it for his next houses. So, the next best thing to do....KNOCK IT OFF. I sent a photo of what I wanted down to Mexico and VOILA, I have the set I wanted. The cost of this is amazing, iron table and 6 chairs for just $1275! I also got 4 bar stools made to match the chairs for the bar that is in the background of this photo.

Finally, because this house has wonderful old world charm that would really lend itself to antique looking furniture. The following photos are ones that I have found and I am having made in reclaimed pine. All these models can be purchased from us.

Armoire $1200 (reclaimed pine price and iron accents)
Table with Iron base $691 (reclaimed pine price)
Round Table 60" Diameter $975 (reclaimed pine price)
Coffee Table (middle) $390 (reclaimed pine price)
Coffee Table (bottom) $385 (reclaimed pine price)










And for my favorite piece, the dining table. it will be 8ft long and seat 10 people. I have a specific table in mind that I imported for a friend up to Canada. It was from Guadalajara and made in MESQUITE wood...it is simply a stunning table.


I cannot afford MESQUITE or the price this Factory charges, so again, I am having it reproduced in Reclaimed Pine. I will have iron Chairs made not wooden chairs (I really like the look of iron and wood together). The iron chairs will match the ones on the roof terrace. The cost of the table in reclaimed pine at 8 ft with iron accents is $899.

As you can see, I really have customized a lot of furniture to suite my houses needs. Anyone can do this, all it takes is a little creativity. Once all this furniture arrives to the house and is in place I will take photos and post them.
We are available at any time to assist in making your ideas a reality.

No comments: